STATE OF MINNESOTA TWENTIETH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-SECOND SESSION
CLIMATE AND ENERGY FINANCE AND POLICY MINUTES
Representative Jamie Long, Chair of the Committee on Climate and Energy Finance and Policy, called the virtual meeting to order at 6:00 PM on March 17th, 2021 pursuant to House rule 10.01. The meeting was broadcast via Zoom and House Public Information Services.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
Long, Jamie, Chair
Acomb, Patty, Vice Chair
Swedzinski, Chris, Republican Lead
A quorum was present.
Representative Long presented HF 2216, A bill for an act relating to energy; establishing a loan program for municipal utilities paying unusually high prices for natural gas in February 2021; establishing a program to defray high natural gas bills from the February 2021 price spike for low-income households; appropriating money.
Representative Long moved that HF 2216 be referred to the Committee on Ways and Means.
Representative Long moved the HF2216DE1 amendment. THE MOTION PREVAILED. THE AMENDMENT WAS ADOPTED.
Testifying on HF 2216:
• Bob Eleff, House Research
• Katie Sieben, Chair, Minnesota Public Utilities Commission
• Joe Sullivan, Vice-Chair, Minnesota Public Utilities Commission
• Aditya Ranade, Deputy Commissioner, Commerce
• Annie Levenson-Falk, Executive Director, Citizens Utility Board
• Bill Grant, Executive Director, Minnesota Community Action Partnership
• Kent Sulem. Director of Government Relations, Minnesota Municipal Utilities Association
• Kris Manderfeld, Utilities Director, New Ulm Public Utilities
• Jack Kegel, CEO, Minnesota Municipal Utilities Association
• Rick Evans, Director of Regional Governmental Affairs, Xcel Energy
Representative Long renews his motion that HF 2216, as amended, be referred to the Committee on Ways and Means.
Representative Long requested a roll call on his motion to refer HF 2216, as amended, to Ways and Means.
There being 15 ayes, 1 nay, and 1 abstention, THE MOTION PREVAILED.
Representative Bierman presented HF 1135, A bill for an act relating to energy; eliminating the sunset for recovery of gas utility infrastructure costs; repealing Laws 2005, chapter 97, article 10, section 3, as amended.
Representative Bierman moved that HF 1135 be laid over for possible inclusion in an omnibus bill.
Testifying on HF 1135:
• Patrick Schillinger, Vice President, Minnesota Energy Resources Corp
Public testimony on HF 1135:
• Justin Fay, Lead Director of Public Affairs, Fresh Energy
• Mike Bull, Director of Policy and External Affairs, Center for Energy and the Environment
Representative Mekeland moved the HF1135A1 amendment. THE MOTION DID NOT PREVAIL. THE AMENDMENT WAS NOT ADOPTED.
Representative Bierman renewed his motion that HF 1135 be laid over for possible inclusion in an omnibus bill.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:12 PM.
Representative Jamie Long, Chair
Mike Hermanson, Committee Legislative Assistant