Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Flood relief fund assistance

Published (6/1/2010)
By Mike Cook
Share on: 



The 2010 spring floods have receded, but cleanup costs remain for local communities in the Red River Valley and along the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers.

A new law sponsored by Rep. Kent Eken (DFL-Twin Valley) and Sen. Keith Langseth (DFL-Glyndon) should help.

Effective May 26, 2010, it calls for a $3.69 million General Fund appropriation to help with cleanup efforts in 24 counties declared federal disaster areas. However, the price tag could be closer to $4 million once all assessments are complete.

The federal government will pick up 75 percent of flood damage costs, and the state has traditionally picked up the remaining 25 percent. Bonding dollars cannot be used because the money is for repair, not construction.

Rep. Morrie Lanning (R-Moorhead), who sponsored an identical bill (HF3796) said his city has spent $10 million of its own money for flood mitigation projects in recent years and the state has provided significant money for statewide flood mitigation as well. He warned that work needs to continue.

HF3795/ SF3379*/CH377

Session Weekly More...


Session Weekly Home



Related Stories


Minnesota Index: Public libraries
Figures and statistics on libraries in Minnesota.
(view full story) Published 5/13/2010

First Reading: MOEs looking for relief
Members say unfunded mandates need to be changed
(view full story) Published 2/20/2009