A new bonding law spends nothing.
Sponsored by Rep. Alice Hausman (DFL-St. Paul) and Sen. Keith Langseth (DFL-Glyndon), the law makes only language changes to some existing appropriations.
Under the law, effective May 26, 2010:
• the date for which bond proceeds authorized in 2005 and 2006, respectively, can be used for the Blazing Star Trail and the Mesabi Trail are extended to June 30, 2014;
• money appropriated in 2008 to construct a family center in Brooklyn Center can also be used for an attached parking facility;
• in addition to predesign and design, Hennepin County Medical Center can use a 2008 appropriation to “construct, furnish, and equip” an outpatient clinic and health education facility;
• a 2010 appropriation for an emergency vehicle operator’s course at Camp Ripley may also be used for project predesign;
• any money left over from a 2009 appropriation for a steam pipeline in Olmsted County can be used “to convert heating and cooling systems within existing Rochester Community and Technical College buildings from electrical energy to steam-derived energy”; and
• the scope of a 2010 appropriation for a buildings project at the Minneapolis Veterans Home is clarified.
Capital investment bill chopped into law
Line-item veto authority cuts $313 million; higher education hit hard
(view full story) Published 3/18/2010
From veto fear to positive outlook
Instead of starting over, governor and legislators seek compromise
(view full story) Published 2/25/2010
A nearly billion-dollar battle?
Bonding bill set for floor vote; governor issues another warning
(view full story) Published 2/11/2010
First Reading: Bonding bill on track for early action
Differences abound on a capital investment amount, projects to be funded
(view full story) Published 2/4/2010
At Issue: ‘Bread and butter’ emergency borrowing
Omnibus bonding bill heads to conference committee
(view full story) Published 4/10/2009
First Reading: Bonding funds — funding what?
Audit shows need for tightened policies and requirements
(view full story) Published 2/6/2009