Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Auto insurance for minors

Published (4/29/2010)
By Nick Busse
Share on: 

Under certain conditions, Minnesotans under the age of 18 can own their own cars. Effective April 27, 2010, they can buy their own insurance policies, too.

A new law, signed April 26 by Gov. Tim Pawlenty, allows minors to purchase automobile insurance, provided they meet the state requirements to own their own automobile. Previously, statutes were unclear as to whether minors could have their own insurance policies.

Rep. Karla Bigham (DFL-Cottage Grove), who sponsors the law with Sen. Katie Sieben (DFL-Newport), said the change will close a “loophole” discovered by one of her constituents.

In order to own a car and/or buy their own insurance, a minor must meet one of the following qualifications:

• complete an approved driver training course and be 17 years old;

• be a high school graduate and be 17 years old;

• be an employed, emancipated minor who holds a Minnesota driver’s license; or

• have become the owner of the passenger automobile or truck which the person seeks to register in Minnesota while a resident of a foreign state, district, territory or country, and which passenger automobile or truck is duly registered in the person’s name in such foreign state, district, territory or country.

HF2879*/ SF2592/CH278

Session Weekly More...

Session Weekly Home

Related Stories

Money for the Vikings — and more
Racino proposal tops a slew of gaming expansion plans
(view full story) Published 3/4/2010

Minnesota Index: Wanna bet?
Figures and statistics on gambling in Minnesota.
(view full story) Published 2/13/2009