Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Foreign IDs for driverís licenses

Published (3/11/2010)
By Sue Hegarty
Share on: 

People unable to obtain a state driverís license or identification card because they donít have the required forms of documentation might be allowed to submit a government identification card from another country as one of two forms required.

Sponsored by Rep. Karen Clark (DFL-Mpls), HF1718 was approved by the House Transportation and Transit Policy and Oversight Division on an 8-5 party-line, roll call vote and sent to the House Finance Committee with a recommended referral to the House Transportation Finance and Policy Division.

Clark said four other states already allow foreign government identification as acceptable forms when obtaining a license to drive. She added that the issue of proper licensing and insurance for drivers is a separate issue from legal and illegal immigration issues.

A companion, SF1615, sponsored by Sen. Scott Dibble (DFL-Mpls), awaits action by the Senate Transportation Committee.

Session Weekly More...

Session Weekly Home

Related Stories

At Issue: Helping transit, for now
Transportation bill includes short-term transit funding fix
(view full story) Published 5/8/2009

At Issue: Funding increases proffered
Omnibus transportation finance bill expected to help trio of areas
(view full story) Published 5/1/2009

Minnesota Index: Minnesotans on motorcycles
Figures and statistics on motorcycling in Minnesota
(view full story) Published 4/17/2009