Strengthening Our Democracy Through Legislation
Proud to announce that last week, House legislators introduced House File 9, chief authored by Representative Greenman, aiming to build a strong, inclusive democracy that will:
- Prohibit intimidating and harassing voters or elections officials and using deceptive practices to disenfranchise voters.
- Ensure state and local elections officials can access the critical federal Help America Vote Act (HAVA) funds they need for election security and infrastructure.
- Establish automatic voter registration, allows 16- and 17-year-olds to pre-register to vote, and restores the right to vote for Minnesotans who are on probation or parole.
- Takes steps to increase transparency and unveil who is spending money to influence our elections,modernizes the Political Contribution Refund (PCR) program, replacing it with Democracy Dollars coupons that are available to all registered Minnesota voters.
- Improve Minnesota’s redistricting process. It sets fair criteria for lawmakers to follow when drawing and evaluating maps and creates a public process to solicit Minnesotans’ input, make redistricting data available to the public, and provide advance notice of maps and hearings.