I am still asking for your feedback on potential issues of discussion this legislative session. Your priorities are important to me. Please take a moment to click on this link and complete my legislative survey. [You may note this survey was created prior to the February forecast announcement and question #4 does not reflect the current $1.6 billion projected positive balance].
Governor Walz to Deliver State of the State Address
Governor Tim Walz announced he will deliver his third State of the State address on Sunday, March 28, 2021, beginning at 6:00pm. The address will be delivered from the Governor’s former social studies classroom at Mankato West High School.
Media outlets can carry the Governor’s address and it will also be streamed on the Governor’s YouTube page here. The announcement will be available in Hmong here, in Spanish here, in Somali here, and on TPT NOW Channel 2.5.
Tax Filing Deadline Update
The Minnesota Department of Revenue has announced a filing date extension for taxpayers to file their 2020 Minnesota Individual Income Tax return, aligning with an IRS decision last week. Minnesotans now have until May 17 to file their payments and returns. Please visit the Minnesota Department of Revenue’s website with information on their resources, including COVID-19 relief available for businesses, and sign up for updates.
Everyone can work to reduce the spread of COVID-19
- Wear masks when in public. 10-50% of virus carriers are asymptomatic (are not experiencing any symptoms). Wearing masks helps control the virus and has been shown to lessen COVID-19 spread.
- Avoid enclosed spaces with groups of people, where the virus can linger in the air for long periods of time.
- Get tested if you have cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Stay six feet away from others.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with your elbow or sleeve, or a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands afterwards.
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom or before eating. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your face – especially your eyes, nose, and mouth – with unwashed hands.
- Up-to-date guidance is available from the Department of Health.
Stay connected with the legislature
The Minnesota House will continue to operate remotely, as we did throughout most of 2020. The House will ensure openness and transparency for the public by expanding the number of simultaneous committees it can webcast live?from a maximum of two to five, so you can stay current on issues moving through committees this budget session.
Also, the Minnesota House of Representatives Public Information Services offers nonpartisan recaps of high-profile bills, committee hearings, and floor sessions with their Session Daily publication. Subscribe to receive these here. To track bills of interest through the legislative process, I encourage you to utilize the MyBills feature on the Minnesota House of Representatives’ website here.
Please continue to reach out with any input, ideas, or feedback about the issues important to you. I value hearing from you, so please don’t hesitate to call or email me any time. You can also connect with me on Facebook here. It’s an honor to represent you at the State Capitol.
Rep. Laurie Pryor
571 State Office Building
100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55155
Facebook: Rep. Laurie Pryor
Legislative Assistant: Jasmyn DiMeglio, 651-296-5408