I continue receiving questions from constituents who are looking to rectify housing and foreclosure issues. A number of resources are available to help you manage your situation if you find yourself experiencing difficulties. Please pass this along to anyone you think may benefit.
Housing Link: www.housinglink.org
• Housing Authority wait list
• Section 8 vouchers
• Public housing
• Housing supply inventory
• Foreclosure research
MN Homeownership Center: www.hocmn.org/en/foreclosurePrevention-map.cfm
• Interactive map to foreclosure specialists
• Or, call 651-659-9336 (foreclosure hotline) Outstate: 866-462-6466
HOME Line: www.homelinemn.org/foreclosure/html
• Tenant hotline information and resources
• Metro Area 612-728-5767 Greater MN 866-866-3546
Family Housing Fund: www.fhfund.org_dnld/reports/RentersForeclosure.html
• Help/resources for renters who are living in homes whose landlords are in foreclosure
Catholic Charities: http://www.ccspm.org/files/catholiccharities/files/2009Directory.pdf
• Housing & emergency services, food shelves, family services
Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans: www.mac-v.org
• Housing, employment, and legal services for veterans
Minnesota Coalition for the Homeless: http://www.mnhomelesscoalition.org/resources/directory
• Homeless assistance resource directory by city
Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota: www.lssmn.org
• Children/families services
• Older adults services
• People with disabilities services
• Financial counseling (including foreclosure)
Senior LinkAge Line: http://www.tcaging.org/findinghelp/sll.html
• Assistance services for older adults and their families to find community services.
United Way 211: http://www.unitedwaytwincities.org/CommunityInfo/211.cfm
United Way has trained information specialists and volunteers who can connect to community resources including:
• Energy Assistance
• Crisis response
• Legal help
• Mental health
• Youth & Senior services
• Dial 211 or 800-543-7709
Minnesota Multi Housing Association: (MHA) Hotline http://www.mmha.com/Resources/OwnerRenters/Renters_FAQs.asp
• Resources for renters on common questions (security deposits, leases, maintenance, cleaning, notices to vacate).
Disability Linkage Line:
• Assistance services for people with disabilities to connect with community services and supports.
Minnesota Housing Finance Agency (MHFA):
• Foreclosure Prevention Assistance Program - assists homeowners facing foreclosure due to a temporary financial crisis. Provides case management or financial assistance on a one-time basis.
• MHFA Consumer Information Line 651-296-8215 or 800-710-8871.
Homeowner Preservation Foundation (national hotline):
• Counselors are experts in foreclosure prevention and are dedicated to helping homeowners
HOMEBUYER TAX CREDIT EXTENDED
Also, you may have heard the $8,000 federal tax credit for first-time homebuyers was extended. You now have until June 30 to sign a purchase agreement and another 60 days beyond that to complete the sale.
The program was expanded to offer a credit of $6,500 to homeowners who have lived in their current home for at least five years and are seeking to relocate.
More information on the extension is provided by the IRS at http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=204671,00.html