To the editor:
Between bites of food on a stick and stops at countless exhibits, nearly 7,500 State Fair visitors took time to participate in a nonpartisan poll conducted by House Public Information Services. The informal, unscientific survey included many top issues that consistently come up when I’m out talking with local folks. Below is a rundown of the results.
Hope you enjoy,
1. This November, voters will be asked to whether they support a three-eighths of 1 percent sales tax increase with the money dedicated for the environment and the arts. Do you support this? (Note: A non-vote will be a no vote in November.)
Yes 49.0% (3,640)
No 42.9% (3,188)
Undecided/No Opinion 8.0% (595)
2. Should voters be required to show a picture ID before casting their ballot?
Yes 67.0% (4,986)
No 27.1% (2,017)
Undecided/No Opinion 5.8% (432)
3. A motorist can now only be cited for failure to wear a seat belt if they are stopped for another infraction. Should law enforcement be permitted to stop someone solely for not wearing a seat belt?
Yes 47.1% (3,504)
No 47.0% (3,499)
Undecided/No Opinion 5.8% (431)
4. Should the state’s 14-year moratorium on nuclear power plant construction be lifted so new facilities can be considered to help meet the state's electricity needs?
Yes 61.0% (4,511)
No 26.4% (1,952)
Undecided/No Opinion 12.6% (935)
5. Clothing sold in the state is not subject to sales tax. Should it be?
Yes 11.6% (864)
No 84.6% (6,285)
Undecided/No Opinion 3.7% (276)
6. Should public school students be required to say the Pledge of Allegiance each day?
Yes 46.3% (3,436)
No 45.9% (3,406)
Undecided/No Opinion 7.8% (578)
7. The state is expected to face a deficit in excess of $1 billion next fiscal year. Do you generally support budget cuts as opposed to increasing certain taxes in times of economic distress?
Yes 46.5% (3,444)
No 43.0% (3,188)
Undecided/No Opinion 10.4% (773)
8. Should undergraduate students at a state college or university have their tuition locked in so that any semester during a four-year period it could not exceed the price the student was charged during their first semester?
Yes 62.1% (4,604)
No 26.7% (1,981)
Undecided/No Opinion 11.1% (826)
9. Should grocers and large retailers who use plastic carryout bags be required to make in-store bag recycling available?
Yes 76.0% (5,635)
No 19.7% (1,462)
Undecided/No Opinion 4.3% (323)
10. Hospitals are permitted to set staffing levels for registered nurses. Should the Legislature set a maximum number of patients a nurse can care for during a shift?
Yes 50.8% (3,770)
No 36.8% (2,725)
Undecided/No Opinion 12.4% (918)
11. Should a 25-percent investment tax credit be made available for investments in qualifying new bioscience business ventures?
Yes 40.6% (2,999)
No 29.0% (2,145)
Undecided/No Opinion 30.3% (2,243)
12. Should lawn care companies and other commercial applicators be required to post 48-hour advance warnings before spraying city yards or farm fields with weed killers or other pesticides?
Yes 60.0% (4,445)
No 29.3% (2,177)
Undecided/No Opinion 10.7% (797)
13. What should be the state sport?
Fishing 28.3% (1,931)
Football 4.6% (316)
Golf 2.2% (150)
Hunting 3.6% (245)
Ice hockey 35.2% (2,403)
Water skiing 3.2% (218)
Other 22.9% (1,564)