I am still taking your feedback on issues that may be discussed this legislative session. Your priorities are important to me. Please take a moment to click on this link and complete my legislative survey.
You are invited to join Rep. Kotyza-Witthuhn, Sen. Cwodzinski, and me on Tuesday, March 16 for a virtual town hall. Details to follow.
Paid Family Medical Leave
This week, we heard compelling testimony in the Early Childhood Finance and Policy Committee, of which I serve as Vice-Chair, on the Paid Family Medical Leave bill. Whether we need to stay home to care for ourselves when sick, bond with a new baby, or help an aging parent, every Minnesotan should have time to care for themselves or a loved one. You can watch the committee here.
COVID-19 Vaccine Update
Anticipating more COVID-19 vaccine arriving in Minnesota, Governor Walz this week announced the strategy and next phases of vaccine distribution. Also announced was a plan to vaccinate 70% of all seniors by the end of March.
The Vaccine Connector is another tool to link Minnesotans with a vaccine. For now, there is more demand than supply, but every Minnesotan will have an opportunity to get vaccinated as more supply arrives in the weeks and months ahead. It will just take time, and the Vaccine Connector is another tool Minnesotans can use to be prepared.
Everyone can work to reduce the spread of COVID-19
- Wear masks when in public. 10-50% of virus carriers are asymptomatic (are not experiencing any symptoms). Wearing masks helps control the virus and has been shown to lessen COVID-19 spread.
- Avoid enclosed spaces with groups of people, where the virus can linger in the air for long periods of time.
- Get tested if you have cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Stay six feet away from others.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with your elbow or sleeve, or a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands afterwards.
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom or before eating. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your face – especially your eyes, nose, and mouth – with unwashed hands.
- Up-to-date guidance is available from the Department of Health.
Stay connected with the legislature
The Minnesota House will continue to operate remotely, as we did throughout most of 2020. The House will ensure openness and transparency for the public by expanding the number of simultaneous committees it can webcast live?from a maximum of two to five, so you can stay current on issues moving through committees this budget session.
Also, the Minnesota House of Representatives Public Information Services offers nonpartisan recaps of high-profile bills, committee hearings, and floor sessions with their Session Daily publication. Subscribe to receive these here. To track bills of interest through the legislative process, I encourage you to utilize the MyBills feature on the Minnesota House of Representatives’ website here.
Please continue to reach out with any input, ideas, or feedback about the issues important to you. I value hearing from you, so please don’t hesitate to call or email me any time. You can also connect with me on Facebook here. It’s an honor to represent you at the State Capitol.