STATE OF MINNESOTA TWENTY-SEVENTH MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES NINETY-FIRST SESSION
AGRICULTURE & FOOD FINANCE & POLICY DIVISION
Representative Jeanne Poppe, Chair of the Division, called the meeting to order at 10:00 AM on January 27th, 2020, in Room 200 of the State Office Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
POPPE, Jeanne, CHAIR
BRAND, Jeff, VICE CHAIR
HAMILTON, Rod, Republican LEAD
A quorum was present.
Presentations from Minnesota Department of Agriculture:
• Overview of the department’s response to climate change - Thom Peterson, Commissioner
• Overview of the Minnesota Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program - Brad Redlin, Pesticide & Fertilizer Management
• Overview of the Agricultural Best Management Practices (AgBMP) Program - Peder Kjeseth, Government Relations
• Overview of AGRI programs - Paul Hugunin, Agriculture Marketing and Development Division
Presentations on agriculture best practices to respond to climate change
• Margaret Wagner, Clean Water Tactical Assistance Unit, presented the Forever Green initiative.
• Craig McDonnell, Assistant Commissioner, and Frank Kohlasch, Climate Director, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, presented on greenhouse gas emissions and reduction potentials from the agriculture sector.
• Angie Becker-Kudelka, Assistant Director, and Dan Shaw, Senior Ecologist/Vegetation Specialist, Board of Water and Soil Resources, presented on climate and conservation.
The meeting was recessed at 11:50 AM.
The meeting resumed at 12:50 PM.
Members from the University of Minnesota Extension presented on energy alternatives moving forward:
• Professor Kathryn Draeger gave an informal presentation on soil samples
• Beverly Durgan, Dean, gave an overview of the Extension program.
• Dr. Kathryn Draeger, Statewide Director, Extension Regional Sustainable Development Partnerships spoke about Extension’s response to climate change.
• Lindsay Pease, Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist Department of Soil, Water, and Climate, presented on building climate resiliency in nutrient and water management.
• Constance Carlson, Market Opportunity Development Specialist, Extension Regional Sustainable Development Partnerships spoke about perennials as climate adaptation and migration.
• Fritz Ebinger, CERTs Rural Energy Development Program Manager University of Minnesota Extension, presented on clean energy for farms and small businesses.
• Melissa Wilson, Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist, spoke on manure and nutrient management.
• Dr. Joe Armstrong, Extension Educator, presented on cattle production systems.
Experts from the field came to discuss how farmers are looking at new practices to adapt to challenges associated with and contribute to solutions to a changing climate:
• Anne Schwagerl, farmer from Browns Valley and Minnesota Farmers Union State Secretary
• Mike Peterson, Minnesota Farmers Union farmer from Northfield
• Kaleb Anderson, Land Stewardship Project Member, Crop and Cattle Farmer, Goodhue County
• George Boody, Land Stewardship Project Science & Special Projects Leader
• Lucas Sjostrom, Executive Director, Minnesota Milk
• Brian Bigler, Murray County farmer and Minnesota Corn Growers Association State Board Treasurer
The meeting was adjourned at 3:09 p.m.
Representative Jeanne Poppe, Chair
Simon Brown, Committee Legislative Assistant