STATE OF MINNESOTA FIRST JOINT MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES EIGHTY-SIXTH SESSION
CIVIL JUSTICE POLICY
JOINT HEARING WITH THE K-12 EDUCATION FINANCE DIVISION
Representative Mullery, Co-Chair, began the meeting at 7 P.M. on Tuesday, February 16, 2010, at Patrick Henry High School in North Minneapolis.
The Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
Civil Justice Members Present: K-12 Finance Members Present:
Mullery, Chair Greiling, Chair
Kulick-Jackson, Vice Chair Ward, Vice Chair
Civil Justice Members Excused: Brown
Kelly K-12 Finance Members Excused:
A quorum was not present.
Testimony was given on how schools are addressing the mental health needs of students.
Corey Davis, Principal, Patrick Henry High School
Hennepin County Commissioner Gail Dorfman
3. Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
Jim Johnson, MSW, LICSW Director of Student Support Service, Minneapolis Public Schools
4. Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
Char Myklebust, M.A., Psy.D., Director of Mental Health and Partnerships for Intermediate School District 287
5. School-Based Mental Health Services
Mark Sander, PsyD., LP, Senior Clinical Psychologist, Hennepin County Mental Health Coordinator, Hennepin County and Minneapolis Public Schools
6. Reducing and Addressing Truancy
Julie Harris, Hennepin County Attorney’s Office
7. Creating School Success for Students in the Juvenile Justice System
Sally Reynolds, Director of Success Academy, Minneapolis Public Schools
8. Reducing Sitgma and Educating Youth about Mental Illness
Chloë Cardinal, student, South High School; Silver Ribbon Campaign
9. David Zander, Research Analyst, Council on Asian Pacific Minnesotans
10. Sue Abderholden, Executive Director, National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
11. Al Flowers, community activist
12. Dr. BraVada Garrett-Akinsanya, Director, African-American Child Wellness Institute
13. Question and Answer Period
The meeting ended at 8:38 P.M.
Joe Mullery, Chair, Civil Justice
Vickie Benson, Committee Legislative Assistant
Mindy Greiling, Chair, K-12 Education Finance
Elizabeth Mandelman, Committee Legislative Assistant