STATE OF MINNESOTA 3rd MEETING
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES EIGHTY-FIFTH SESSION
PUBLIC SAFETY AND CIVIL JUSTICE POLICY COMMITTEE
Representative Mullery, Chair of the Committee, called the meeting to order at 12:35 P.M. on Thursday, January 18, 2007, in Room 10 of the State Office Building.
The Committee Legislative Assistant noted the roll.
Members Present: Members Excused:
Mullery (Chair) Kohls
Kalin (Vice-Chair) Smith
A quorum was present.
Representative Olin moved that the minutes of January 16, 2007, be adopted.
THE MOTION PREVAILED
1. Presentations by the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) regarding forensic sciences procedures, data bases, and case law regarding admissibility of their various scientific findings.
a) Frank Dolejsi, BCA Lab Director
b) Susan Gross, BCA Lab Supervisor
- DNA and the Caulfield Decision of 10-5-06
c) Jim Iverson, BCA Lab Supervisor for DNA
- Offender database
d) Brent Nelson, BCA Lab Scientist
- Toxicology findings; Underdahl v Commissioner of Public Safety
e) Glenn Langenberg, BCA Lab Scientist (fingerprint examiner)
- Fingerprints admissibility, standards, and techniques
2. Presentation by Patrick Sullivan, Hennepin County Public Defender
- Forensic science litigation
The meeting was adjourned at 2:10 P.M.
REPRESENTATIVE MULLERY, CHAIR
Vickie Benson, Committee Legislative Assistant