.................... moves to amend H.F. No. 1238, the second engrossment, as follows:
Page 4, after line 27, insert:
"Sec. ... Minnesota Statutes 2008, section 84.027, subdivision 17, is amended to read:
Subd. 17. Background checks for volunteer instructors.
(a) The commissioner
may conduct background checks for volunteer instructor applicants for department safety
training and education programs, including the programs established under sections
(youth off-highway motorcycle safety education and training),
(youth and adult snowmobile safety training),
(youth all-terrain vehicle safety
education and training),
(youth firearms safety training), and
and trapper education and training).
(b) The commissioner shall perform the background check by retrieving criminal
history data as defined in section 13.87
in the criminal justice information
1.13 system (CJIS) by the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension in the Department of Public
and other data sources.
(c) The commissioner shall develop a standardized form to be used for requesting a
background check, which must include:
(1) a notification to the applicant that the commissioner will conduct a background
check under this section;
(2) a notification to the applicant of the applicant's rights under paragraph (d); and
(3) a signed consent by the applicant to conduct the background check expiring one
year from the date of signature.
(d) The volunteer instructor applicant who is the subject of a background check
has the right to:
(1) be informed that the commissioner will request a background check on the
(2) be informed by the commissioner of the results of the background check and
obtain a copy of the background check;
(3) obtain any record that forms the basis for the background check and report;
(4) challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information contained in the
report or a record; and
(5) be informed by the commissioner if the applicant is rejected because of the
result of the background check."