For more information contact: Sandy Connolly 651-296-8877
ST. PAUL, MN – State Rep. Melissa Hortman (DFL – Brooklyn Park) commends Governor Dayton for taking action to support patients and employees at north metro-area hospitals. Governor Dayton's executive order on Wednesday will bring $132.9 million in additional funding for local health care providers.
Legislation passed in 2010 gave the state’s next governor the option to bring home $1.2 billion in badly-needed federal funding for Minnesota hospitals – an option Governor Dayton has promptly moved forward on.
“We fought last session to give Minnesota’s next governor the option to bring this money home," said Rep. Hortman. “I am very pleased that Governor Dayton acted so quickly in the interest of all Minnesotans.”
Medical Assistance dollars included in the federal Affordable Care Act passed by Congress last year will cover all GAMC patients in Minnesota, including some MinnesotaCare enrollees. States must opt-in to the program to receive the funding.
“This funding will help deliver care for those who need it, provide financial stability for our local hospitals, and protect good-paying health care jobs in north metro communities,” Hortman said.
Governor Dayton's action means $132.9 million in additional funding in our area, including funds for four local hospitals:
Mercy Hospital $12.1 million
Unity Hospital $4.8 million
Hennepin County Medical Center $93.5 million
North Memorial Medical Center $22.5 million
Governor Dayton's action will also help reduce the state’s budget deficit by reducing the shortfall in the state's Health Care Access Fund by several hundred million dollars.
“Facing a very serious budget shortfall, we need to do everything possible to preserve jobs. The Governor's action does that. Importantly, it also brings Minnesota taxpayer dollars back home from Washington, and puts them to work in our communities,” said Rep. Hortman.