For more information contact: House GOP Communications 651-296-5520
To the Editor:
I am writing in response to a March 5 letter written by Coleen Rowley. In the letter she questions my compassion and criticizes me for upholding Gov. Pawlenty’s veto on a bill extending GAMC benefits.
Yes, I originally voted for the bill (which even the author said wasn’t perfect) as a good faith move to continue the discussion on reform. It was stated on the floor that the bill would be further reworked in conference committee and return to the House floor, which is usually the case, but legislative leadership pushed it straight through to the Governor’s desk instead. I upheld his veto as a way to return to the negotiating table to do the work that still needed to be done. Fortunately for Minnesota, my Republican colleagues and I were able to do so.
Last week we reached an agreement that saves the taxpayers more than $700 million while still providing coverage to the poorest Minnesotans relying on GAMC. I believe we were presented with a false choice between two poor options: 1.) A bill with minimal reform on program growing at unsustainable rates (projected at $928 million next biennium); or 2.) No coverage for GAMC recipients. Even the Majority Leader said these were the only options. I’m glad he was wrong.
This new, nation-leading reform will cost a considerable amount less while still preserving coverage. I agree we must help the least among us. Minnesotans are known for our kind and giving nature, and this is part of what makes our state great. We just needed to shift the focus from preserving a broken program at risk of bankrupting our state to finding a better way to provide for those who need our help the most. I think this plan achieves just that.
Please continue to call me (651.296.5506) or e-mail me (rep.tara.mack@house.mn) to discuss GAMC or any other issues we face this session.
Sincerely,
State Representative Tara Mack
Apple Valley and Burnsville