Minnesota House of Representatives

Menu

State Representative Kim Norton

593 State Office BuildingState Office Building
100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
651-296-9249

For more information contact: Matt Swenson 651-297-8406

Posted: 2009-10-29 00:00:00
Share on: 



Press/News Releases

REP. NORTON HONORED TWICE THIS WEEK FOR EFFORTS TO REDUCE TRAFFIC FATALITIES


ST. PAUL, MN - Last session State Rep. Kim Norton (DFL - Rochester) passed a landmark primary seatbelt law that is projected to save the lives of countless Minnesotans and bring millions in federal funding into the state coffers. In recognition of her work to reduce traffic fatalities, the Minnesota Department of Transportation’s Toward Zero Deaths program has honored Rep. Norton with its 2009 Distinguished Public Leadership Star Award. On Tuesday, Meharry Medical College recognized Norton’s work with its 2009 Seatbelt Champion Award.

“Rep. Norton is fully committed saving lives on Minnesota roads," said Cheri Martie, director of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety’s Office of Traffic Safety. “As a new legislator, she was so dedicated to passing a graduated drivers’ license bill and passing primary seatbelt law in Minnesota. Rep. Norton was uniquely able argue the merits of these life saving proposals, and brought both sides of the aisle together to a shared understanding of why both bills were so important.”

Rep. Norton’s primary seat belt law went into effect June 9th. It requires that all passengers in Minnesota wear a seat belt, and allows law enforcement to pull a vehicle over for that offense alone. Anyone over the age of 15 who violates the law faces a $25 fine. Drivers are liable for their own violations and for any violations by passengers under the age of 15.

“The choice of putting on a seatbelt is often a matter of life and death,” Norton said. “According to the Department of Public Safety, there are roughly 90,000 traffic accidents every year in Minnesota. Policy changes can’t easily reduce the number of accidents in our state. But the more people we have putting on seat belts when they get in the car, the better chance we have of saving lives. That’s an effort worth making.”

Already in 2009, 337 Minnesotans have been killed in fatal traffic accidents. At this time last year, that number was 352. Rep. Norton, the Toward Zero Deaths Program, Meharry Medical College, law enforcement, and Minnesotans in every corner of the state are hopeful the new primary seat belt law will continue reducing the incidence of fatal traffic accidents in Minnesota. But Norton contends that is up to Minnesotans.

“I urge all Minnesotans to follow the rule of law, and buckle up,” Norton said. “It’s one simple thing you can do that may one day save your life.”

State Sen. Steve Murphy (DFL - Red Wing) was also recognized by the Toward Zero Deaths program.

Minnesota House of Representatives  ·   100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Saint Paul, MN   55155   ·   Webmaster@house.mn