For more information contact: Michael Howard 651-296-8873
St. Paul, MN – The Minnesota House of Representatives passed their Supplemental Budget Bill on Friday morning, meeting their goal of balancing the state budget, while at the same time investing in Minnesota's schools and nursing homes. Rep. Tom Anzelc (DFL – Balsam Township) said the bill helps public school districts and rural nursing homes.
"We have a responsibility to balance the state budget at the legislature, and that's what this bill does," said Anzelc.
The bill includes a balanced $44 million investment for Minnesota schools, providing an additional $51 per pupil for every school district in the state. Schools in dire need are offered additional short-term flexibility to use $51 per pupil from operating capital reserves for general fund balance purposes to address critical needs.
"For decades students in Northern Minnesota have received a great education, but we have not provided the funding to maintain that world-class quality," said Anzelc. "We have a duty to make sure students can continue to get the world-class education they deserve."
Anzelc was pleased the House budget bill included a 2% Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) for nursing homes. Last year, lawmakers passed a needed funding increase for nursing homes which aimed to fill a funding gap left by the Governor's budget cuts in 2003. Unfortunately, the Governor's budget proposal would freeze the increase from last year and cut $31 million from nursing homes and long-term cares workers.
"It is absolutely unacceptable to balance our budget with cuts to struggling nursing homes," said Anzelc. "Areas like Northern Minnesota would see nursing homes close and this funding increase can prevent that from happening. I'm very pleased that facilities in International Falls and Little Fork will share in this increase."
The $935 million state budget deficit is balanced in the House bill through a balanced mix of budget reductions, increased revenue through closure of corporate tax loopholes, and use of state budget reserves. A significant difference between this proposal and the Governor's is that the House proposal leaves the Health Care Access Fund alone while the Governor takes over $250 million.
"The purpose of the Health Care Access Fund is to provide health care for hard working Minnesotans, and children, who don't have health insurance," said Anzelc. "Not only is it irresponsible to use it for something entirely different, it will cost everyone in the long-run because health care premiums will go up."
-30-
If you would like audio on this topic, please contact Catherine Thompson - Radio/Television Coordinator.
catherine.thompson@house.mn
(651) 296-5499