For more information contact: Charlene Briner 651-296-5809
Responding to a bi-partisan group of legislators, Governor Pawlenty has agreed to support a one year contingency appropriation to continue funding for a program that allows retired doctors, nurses and dentists to provide volunteer services to low-income patients in non-profit health clinics.
When a clinic in Rochester brought the issue to the attention of Assistant Majority Leader Tina Liebling (DFL-Rochester), she quickly began searching for a way to continue the program. She informed her legislative colleagues on two Minnesota House Health Care committees, who joined her in seeking assistance from Governor Pawlenty. Senator Ann Lynch also worked closely with Rep. Liebling and joined her in contacting the Governor. When Rep. Liebling got word that the Governor was acting on the request, she was delighted with the news.
"I'm so pleased the Governor recognized the clear benefits of the program and will act swiftly to address our concerns. The appropriation of $50,000 for medical malpractice insurance for the retired providers means we will can continue providing basic and urgent health care to approximately 12,000 Minnesotans at clinics throughout the state."
The Volunteer Health Care Provider Program was discontinued earlier this month when funding for the statutorily mandated malpractice insurance ended. The program has been operating since 2003, providing health care services to low-income individuals by 16 professional providers at 9 clinics throughout the state. The program had an initial appropriation of $50,000 in 2003 and an additional appropriation of $50,000 in 2005. This year, the Administrative Services Unit (ASU) manager made an appropriation request for the program, but the budget request was not included by the Department of Finance and was not brought to the attention of the Legislature during the 2007 session.
As a result, clinics using the program were notified that the program would end on July 1, ending the availability of basic and urgent care health services for approximately 12,000 Minnesotans using the health care providers registered in the program. One dental clinic in Rochester registered in the program had 1900 appointments for 1300 patients last year, with the bulk of their services focusing on short-term relief and pain management for patients who otherwise would have needed to make a far more expensive trip to an emergency room.
Governor Pawlenty's letter to the 16 legislators who made the contingency funding request cited the clear value of the program and said he would request to transfer money from the State Government Special Revenue contingency fund to the ASU to allow the program to continue for one year. Liebling and Lynch will sponsor legislation in 2008 to create an assessment process that will prevent future disruptions in service.
"The timely action to correct this situation is a success story for everyone involved, most of all for the patients who will continue being served by the program," said Liebling. "Retired volunteer providers give over 1400 volunteer hours a year to meet the health care needs of low-income individuals, providing a valuable and cost-effective service to Minnesotans in need."
-30-