The following write-ups are produced and maintained by House Research, with some links provided to other sources.
Interactive Data Lookup
- Interactive LGA Lookup
Tool allows users to find historical local government aid information for counties, individual cities, or groups of cities, and print the data to a spreadsheet.
2017 Session Data & Runs
- 2017 and 2018 city LGA under current law vs. omnibus tax bill, 1st special session
(Run: specsess1, 5/22/17)
- CPA projections: H.F. 1, 1st special session
- 2017 and 2018 city LGA under current law vs. H.F. 4, conference committee report
(Run: hf4ccrep1, 5/2/17)
- 2017 and 2018 city LGA under current law vs. H.F. 4, the 3rd engrossment
(Run: hf4e3lga, 4/18/17)
- Unintentional error in LGA formula
- 2018 estimated city LGA under current law
(Run: est18base, 2/5/17)
- County program aid (CPA) for taxes payable 2017 and 2018, base vs. H.F. 609
- 2018 estimated city LGA current law vs. under H.F. 672
(Run: hf672P18, 3/10/17)
- 2018 estimated city LGA current law vs. H.F. 1320
(Run: hf1320, 3/10/17)
- Cities impacted by H.F. 1512
- Cities impacted by transition change in H.F. 849
- 2017 Certified city LGA
(Run: cert17, 12/28/16)
2016 Session Data & Runs
2015 Session Data & Runs
2014 Session Data & Runs
2013 Session Data & Runs
2012 Session Data & Runs
Historical Data & Runs
Major State Aids & Taxes
Analyses of the major state aids and taxes in Minnesota, showing state, regional, and county breakdowns of major state taxes and different types of aid.
The following materials have been archived and may contain some information that is not up-to-date. "Archived" materials are no longer actively maintained by House Research Department and are generally at least five years old. Current materials are provided in the previous topics.
- 1998-99 state aids to cities
- 1998-99 state aids to counties
- 1998-99 state aids to towns
- 2009 LGA under Minnesota Laws 2008, chapter 366 vs. old law
(Run: lgachap366 6/4/08)
- 2011 and 2012 LGA under House, Senate, and proposed conference committee plans
(Run: cc0512a, 5/13/11)
- 2014 Current law LGA vs. Governor's proposed 2014 LGA and governor's formula with no transition
(Run: LGAgov1, 1/29/13)
- Aid losses to first class cities under H.F. 2034
- Aid losses to first class cities under H.F. 984
(Property tax division report, 4/14/15)
- Aid losses to first class cities under H.F. 984 (with author's amendment)
(Property tax division report, 4/15/15)
- Certified 2015 county program aid
- City Local Government Aid
Run lists amounts by city for calendar years 2001-2003 (1/13/03).
- Comparison of 2013 LGA, 2014 LGA under old law, and 2014 LGA under chapter 143 (2013 omnibus tax bill)
(Run: Ch143, 5/31/13)
- Comparison of current law 2014 and 2015 LGA with 2015 LGA under Division Report
(Run: LGAdivision, 3/17/14)
- Comparison of current law 2014 and 2015 LGA with 2015 LGA under H.F. 2689
(Run: LGAh2689, 3/13/14)
- Comparison of current law 2014 and 2015 LGA with 2015 LGA under H.F. 3167, the conference committee report
(Run: LGAH3167ccr, 5/8/14)
- Comparison of current law 2014 and 2015 LGA with 2015 LGA under H.F. 3167, third engrossment (updated)
(Run: LGAH3167, 4/17/14)
- County aids and credit payments pending for December 2008
- County General Purpose Aids
Amounts listed by county for calendar years 2002-2003 (1/15/03).
- Effect of Eliminating State Transit Aid and Metro Transit Takeover
Run lists amounts by city for 2003 (4/11/03).
- Estimated 2014 County Program Aid under H.F. 677
(Run: cpa2014hf677v4, 5/19/13)
- Estimated 2014 supplemental county program aid under Laws 2014, chapter 308
- Estimated 2016 and projected 2017 LGA under H.F. 685 (updated)
(Run: hf685a1run, 3/10/15)
- Estimated 2016 LGA under HF 1265
(Run: hf1265run, 4/2/15)
- Estimated 2017 city LGA under current law
(Run: baseline17, 3/7/16)
- Estimated aquatic species prevention aid for 2014 and 2015
- Estimated LGA under 2003 First Special Session Tax Bill in 2003, 2004, 2005, and under a Fully Phased-in Formula
Run lists amounts are by city and includes final certified 2003 and 2004 amounts (Run: lga1003time 10/28/03).
- Governor's December 2008 County Aid and Credit Unallotments
- Major State Aids and Taxes: 2009 Update
Complete report. June 2012.
- Major State Aids and Taxes: An Overview of the 2009 Update
2-page overview. June 2012.
- Memo on fungibility of local government revenues
Explains legal restrictions on the ability of local governments to use revenues from various sources.
- Memo on LGA fluctuations between 2006 and later years
- Memo on use of State Auditor data in determining aid to local governments
- Paid 2010 aids and credits and certified 2011 aids and credits vs. paid 2011 aids and credits under HF130: the conference committee report
(Run: h0130cc, 2/8/11)
- Pay 2011 PERA Payments by Type of Jurisdiction: Cities
- Pay 2011 PERA Payments by Type of Jurisdiction: Special taxing districts and other
- Pay 2011 PERA Payments by Type of Jurisdiction: Towns
- Pay 20111 PERA Payments by Type of Jurisdiction: County
- Per Capita City Aid
Runs lists 1990, 2002, and 2003 in nominal and constant 2003 dollars (4/15/03).
- PILT Payments by County - Current Law v. Alternative 15% Cut
- Property tax changes due to changes in aids and credits under the 2001 reform (2001 Spec. Sess., ch. 5) for towns